The dermatology and allergy service diagnoses and treats a wide array of conditions, such as:
- Ear disease (otitis)
- Auto-immune skin disease
- Bacterial skin infections
- Adverse drug reactions
- Yeast (Malassezia sp.) infections
- Recurrent rashes and hives
- Ringworm infections
- Genetic and congenital skin diseases
- Food Allergies
- Pododermatitis (foot disease)
- Environmental allergies (atopic dermatitis)
- Nail and/or footpad disorders
- Endocrine/Metabolic disease
- Hot spots (acute moist dermatitis)
- Alopecia (hair loss)
- Skin cancer/tumors
- Itching (pruritus)
- Parasitic skin diseases (e.g., mange)
- Flea allergy dermatitis
- Tick, lice, mite, and flea control
The dermatology and allergy service uses several diagnostic tests, such as:
- Allergy testing (skin and/or serology)
- Ear and skin cultures
- Skin biopsies/mass removals
- Tissue samples (biopsies)
- Skin scrapings
- Fungal cultures/preparations
- Hair plucks
- Wood’s lamp exam
- Blood work (general and endocrine)
- Tzanck preparations
- Fine needle aspirates
- Impression smears
- Diet trials/elimination diets
- Surface skin cytology
- Otic exams
- Ear cytology
- Advanced imaging (CT, radiographs, MRI, ultrasound)
The dermatology and allergy service performs many procedures, including:
- Video otoscopy/deep ear flushes
- CT scans to assess the middle ear
- Long-term planning for medical management of allergies
- Allergen-specific immunotherapy (allergy injections)
- Skin mass removals (local anesthesia)
- Anal sac expression
- Medicated bathing (special circumstances)
- Hydrotherapy (special circumstances)
- LASER surgery will be an option soon.
- LASER is an acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission Radiation
- The device used generates a beam of light energy at a specific wavelength.
- The most commonly used veterinary surgical laser is the CO2 laser. This is what will be used.
- The wavelength of the CO2 laser beam is absorbed by the water present in the skin. This vaporizes the skin (tissue) cells and "cuts" the tissues with minimal to no bleeding or discomfort.
- The LASER allows for extreme surgical precision.
- The LASER surgery allows for quicker procedures as well.
Phovia - Fluorescent Light Therapy (FLT)
- Phovia helps accelerate natural skin regeneration for most lesions.
- Phovia is a novel way to manipulate the function of cells within the dermis and epidermis, to reduce inflammation but still accelerate regeneration.
- Phovia is a two-part system, comprising a LED lamp and a chromophore gel, used together, they produce multi-wavelength fluorescent light energy that can penetrate the skin to variable depths.
- The gel contains chromophores specialized molecules that can absorb photons of directed light (from the LED lamp) and then re-emit them at different wavelengths. This produces the fluorescent light energy (FLE) that is key to how the Phovia system works.
- Video (explanation)
Veterinary Dermatology and Allergy
Ian Brett Spiegel VMD, MHS,DACVD
Samantha Zebley DVM, ACVD- Resident